Monday, November 7, 2016

Busy Day

Today was a busy day of buying and selling.  First, I went to the auto parts store and purchased a new starter and swapped out the wrong engine mounts for the correct ones.  Then, it was off to the junk yard to find a spacer plate for the transmission since I didn't get one with my previous Craigslist deal.  After lunch, a guy from Craigslist came over and bought my old big block engine, automatic transmission, and radiator to put in his project truck at home.  I believe he is building a mid-seventies Ford that is more accommodating to the physical size of the big block.  Then, after taking a moment to admire the new free space in the garage, I test fit the junk yard spacer plate and engine mounts on the engine and everything looks good!  While the engine was off of the stand, I took the opportunity to pull the old-style transmission pilot bushing from the back of the engine and plan to order a new style pilot roller bearing, you know, to make the truck go a little faster...

Here is a picture of the junk yard spacer plate.  I found a nearby ford transmission and did a quick fit test on it prior to purchasing it.  It had "84 LTD" written on it in paint pen, so it probably came off of that car when salvaged.  The black stuff on there is years of oily gunk buildup and neglect...
 Here is the spacer plate on the engine at home:
 Pilot bearing puller that I borrowed from the auto parts store:
 Slide hammer to remove the pilot bushing:
 Success!
 Rear of engine, waiting to accept the new pilot roller bearing.
 Engine mount holes almost exactly line up now with the new mounts.  The bolts will require a small amount of encouragement to get in there, but don't worry.  There are many means of delivering encouragement to stubborn bolts in the garage.  :o)
 Free space!
 Another shot of the engine while standing in front of the truck:
 I took some quick measurements of the air gap between the engine block and the various nearby exhaust obstructions.  Once I get the gearbox replaced and the engine mounted for the last time, I'll start the hunt for some headers that will fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment