Saturday, December 3, 2016

Radiatior Fan and Ignition Work

After getting the headers roughed in, I decided to start sorting out more of the electrical issues.  I unboxed and installed the electric cooling fan and stretched out all of the wires to see what I had to work with.  It all looks pretty good except for the fan mounting hardware, which was plastic.  I ran to Ace Hardware and got four new bolts to mount them "properly."  The ignition situation continues to develop... more on that after the radiator pics.

As it was on the truck from before with the protective film from shipping:
 Cheesy plastic mounting hardware for the fan:
 Wires, switch relay, and thermostat:
 Here is the fan laying on top of the fan shroud prior to drilling:
 Drilling hole for mounting bolts:
 Holes drilled and plastic film removed:
 Fan installed to the shroud:
 Shroud mounted to radiator.  Looks good!
While I was working on the radiator, I went ahead and cut the thermostat bypass hose and installed it and the blank cap on the heater return line.  I used a PVC cutting tool to cut the hose so it would leave a nice and clean end on the hose.
 
 

I needed to get the ignition switch replaced before reinstalling the steering column due to the cramped access under the dash.  I also need to get the steering column installed before I can finalize the installation of the driver's side exhaust, so the column has become a priority.  I picked up a replacement ignition switch from the auto parts store and installed it without any issues.  The trouble is, however, that the column will not bolt back up like it did before I put on the new switch (and the steering gearbox).  The mounting bracket now clashes with the dash before the bolt holes become aligned.  After staring at it for a while, my conclusion is that the location of the gearbox input shaft is in a slightly different position than the previous one, which is causing the upper mounting bracket to be off.  I was 50/50 on getting a new steering column anyway since the one on the truck appears to be a Ford factory unit from many decades ago and it is setup for an automatic transmission.  I'll do some research and sleep on it before making a move on a modification of the existing one or new purchase.

Old blown-up ignition switch:
 Side by side with the new one:
 This is the bracket that is clashing with the dash.  Its aluminum, so I can't bend it like it needs to be because I'm pretty sure it would crack and break.  I'll sleep on it before putting it in the vise...






No comments:

Post a Comment